Hey there, happy Hump Day! Since it’s mid-week and I haven’t done one of these in a while, here is my 3rd (4th??) installment of Yay or Nay Wednesdays! Todaussy’s discussion is on used and new books.
The Case: You want to get a new book and you adore your local used store, but it doesn’t have a copy of the book you’re dying to get your hands on!
- used books are a bit beaten when you get them
- like stated above, they don’t always have the book you’re looking for
- someone had to discard this book for a reason, what if you don’t like it either?
- you don’t know where this book has been, what if someone read it in the bathroom?!
- they don’t have the edition you’re looking for – new, redesigned cover, obviously
- used books are cheaper which means you can get more bang for your buck
- sometimes you find the exact copy you were looking for
- not everyone is a destroyer of books
- you don’t know if it’ll be there when you come back #McYolo you know?
- you don’t need a fancy copy, one to read in print is fine enough
I say this is a case to case basis. If it’s a book you’re dying to read and it isn’t anywhere used, I say go for getting it new. It’s kind of like the hardcover vs. softcover debate. I say to each his own. If you don’t mind a battered book, by all means buy used! However I myself am a buy new kind of gal, so I totally understand people who like them new, shiny, and unadulterated.
I hope you enjoyed my chat today! Do you buy new or used? Do you have a preference? Tell me below in the comments!