Hello, happy Wednesday/hump day! I was writing up my Yay or Nay post last week and realized that I have not debated this one yet! While I have talked about eReader vs. physical copy, I have been remiss in one of the most debated topics! Without further ado, here we go!
The Case: So many books you want to read come out in hardcover first! They are shiny and pretty and new, but they are the bane of your wallet’s existence. Do you wait for it to come out in paper or splurge anyway?
- Did I mention how much they cost? (Especially adult books, they’ll rob you blind!)
- They are kind of cumbersome, have you tried packing one for a trip?
- THEY’RE SO HEAVY! Pick up more than three and you could be lifting
- The dust jacket may get torn, damaged, or worse – lost
- what do you do with it while you read anyhow? Take it off? Leave it on?
- Have you seen under a dust jacket? It’s gorgeous and hides little gems (check The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness if you’d like to make sure I’m right)
- The dust jacket is an accessory in-and-of itself, it’s so pretty
- You’re a big kid, you can afford this *dumps change out of piggy bank*
- YOU CANNOT WAIT FOR THE PAPERBACK RELEASE. NEED. IT. NOW.
- If you shop used, you can get awesome deals, who doesn’t love $5 for a $20 book?
I used to wait, but now I work in a bookstore… I see way to many pretty hardcovers to wait, so I don’t anymore. I say this is a case to case basis. Sometimes you get lucky and have it in paper immediately. Most of the foreign editions come out in paper first, which I don’t understand, so you could order online at The Book Depository. (I love this website, it’s glorious and cheaper too, with free shipping might I add.) In the end, my message is you do what works for you. If you have the patience to wait, then wait and get it in paper. If you can’t, then don’t!
Thanks for reading today! What would you do? Do you like to buy paperbacks?